Health and Physical Education
Health and Physical Education is a vital part of the complete educational program at Grace E. Metz Middle School. Based on a planned sequence of experiences using a wide variety of activities, the physical education program provides an opportunity for each student to develop the skills, knowledge, and confidence necessary to lead a physical and active lifestyle. Our high-quality physical education program promotes an active lifestyle, improved health, motor skill development, and better cognitive performance.
The vision of the Health and Physical Education Department at Grace E. Metz Middle School is to commit itself to the total development of the student through a progressive program of growth and development using quality and fundamental instruction which is designed to meet the unique needs of the middle school student.
Through the achievement of the following goals, the Health and Physical Education curriculum at Grace E. Metz Middle School assists students accept responsibilities and make positive choices which will ensure good health in its broadest sense both for themselves and the community of which they are a part. Students will be able to:
- Enhance personal development through a sense of self-worth and accomplishments.
- Reach full potential in growth and physical development.
- Develop a wide range of movement skills which allow participation in a variety of physical activities.
- Know themselves and others in such a way as to enhance involvement in a variety of relationships.
- Be able to choose behaviors which enhance personal well-being and improve the health of the community.
- Develop positive attitudes towards health, fitness, and physical activity.
- Access organized curriculum that is relevant, challenging, integrative, and exploratory.