At Baldwin Intermediate, G/T students meet with Mrs. Brownlee. The students first completed a practice center. The purpose of this center is to teach students to follow a contract with precision. This takes three to four class periods to complete, and at that point they select their first full center. I Now that everyone has selected a new center, we have students side-by-side studying World War II, Endangered Species, Cryptozoology, French, etc. and it is really something to see. I am very proud of these students for their intense focus, despite the variety of activities in the classroom.
Aside from their time in my room, we conducted a Socratic Seminar in Dr. Groundwater’s classroom on the topic of the Electoral College. I was very impressed by these students, many of whom have never participated in a seminar. I plan to conduct these sessions during the school room in all of the cluster classrooms. I also joined Mrs. Demeria’s class, where we are working on Hands on Equations. This is a wonderful program that allows student to work with equations and progress at their own rate.
We have very clear expectations of our Baldwin Intermediate G/T students. The following are expectations taken from our G/T instructional standards:
Who Are We?
We are determined:
- We keep trying when we face
- We view setbacks as an opportunity to grow.
We are problem solvers:
- We identify a problem.
- We find the resources and requirements need to solve the
We are creative:
- We develop original ideas.
- We design, construct, or compose original products.
We are curious:
- We ask questions to clarify information.
- We ask questions to deepen understanding.
- We reflect and ask follow up questions.
We are in charge of our learning:
- We set goals.
- We effectively use our time in class.
We are courageous:
- We stand up for ideas, even when many disagree.
- We are courteous but not afraid to disagree.