Fine Arts in the Schools
The Manassas City Public Schools Fine Arts Program includes opportunities for students in grades K-12. The curriculum integrates the performing arts with practices of innovative thinking. We aim to develop students’ capacities academically, artistically and socially so that they leave the school system as independent, collaborative, responsible and creative young adults with a lifelong interest and ability in the arts.
The Manassas City Public Schools visual arts program instructors educate students to develop an awareness and appreciation of art. Each May, MCPS holds a division-wide art show that features student art from all schools.
Students are given the opportunity to obtain knowledge, skills and understanding to demonstrate mastery of musical skills and concepts as performers, composers, and consumers of the art form. Band, chorus and orchestra classes are offered at the intermediate, middle, and high school levels. To learn more about specific performing groups at the middle and high school levels, contact the school your child will attend.
General music is offered to all elementary students. Visit the Osbourn High School Fine Arts page to find out more about the exciting programs offered for high school students.
The theatre program offers opportunities to experience and appreciate dramatic literature and participate in the creative process through performance and production.
Arts in the Schools and Community
Manssas City Public Schools' fine arts students participate in many cultural events in the schools and in the community:
- Manassas City Tree Lighting
- Santa Train Caroling
- Manassas City Parades (Christmas, Veterans, St. Patrick's Day)
- MCPS State of the Schools
- Off the Wall Art Show
- Manassas City Hall Art Show
- All-City Chorus concert at the Hylton Performing Arts Center
- Manassas Museum Art Show
- All-City Band & Orchestra Concerts
- MCPS Holiday Card Contest
- Manassas City Arbor Day Poster Contest
- Capitol Art Day
- Parent Teacher Association (PTA) Reflections Contest
- Virginia School Board Association Art Contest
- Manassas Reads
- “First Friday” Events on the lawn of Manassas Museum
- MCPS Art Show
- MCPS Fine Arts Day
- Night of Excellence sponsored by the MCPS Education Foundation
Electives and Library Coordinator