LEARNING FROM HOME
Following the guidance of the state superintendent, Manassas City Public Schools is using multiple options to encourage student learning while at home (this is subject to change based on circumstances). Our goal is to ensure that all students and families are supported, but not overwhelmed, by our guidance during this unprecedented health emergency and school closure.
Distance Learning: Beginning the week of April 20th, teachers will be providing weekly videos and assignments through Schoology (grades 5-12) and Webpages (grades PK-4: go to schools website > choose Academics from top menu > your child’s grade level > Distance Learning Materials on the left).
Learning Packets: All students grades PK-8 will be receiving paper learning packets at home the week of April 20th.
Students can complete continuous learning activities either online, on paper, or a combination of both. A reminder that none of this work is required and no new grades will be taken. The goal is to offer opportunities for students to continue learning during the closure.
Learning From Home: In an effort to streamline the many resources available to families, Manassas City has created a Learning From Home page on our website. This page includes links to the VA TV Classroom (sponsored by the Virginia Department of Education), sample daily schedules, and additional recommended websites and activities for continued learning. These resources are completely optional and can be utilized in addition to the distance learning provided by teachers or the learning packets. We encourage parents to preview the learning resources prior to students using them to determine which ones are most appropriate for your family to support the learning of your student(s) at home.
“VA TV Classroom” will air instructional content from 1-3 p.m., Monday through Friday. * VDOE Press Release - VA TV Classroom
The “VA TV Classroom” on-air schedule:
- K-3 instruction airs from 1-2 p.m. with Standards of Learning-aligned content provided by WHRO Public Media. “Learn to Grow with WHRO” segments will be 15 minutes in length and led by teachers.
- Grades 7-10 instruction airs from 2-3 p.m. with SOL-aligned content provided by WHRO Public Media focusing on Earth Science and Algebra 1.
- During the week of April 27, “VA TV Classroom” will add a special hour from 3-4 p.m. called “AP Prep Week,” with content provided by Virtual Virginia — in collaboration with WHRO — focusing on a different AP subject each day. The hour will include two 30-minute segments.
“VA TV Classroom” can be seen throughout the commonwealth on the following channels:
- WHRO – WHRO World: via antenna 15.2, Cox 107 and Verizon FiOS 460
- VPM – VPM Plus
- Richmond area: via antenna 57.1, Verizon FiOS 24 and 524 (HD), Comcast 24 & 797 (HD), DIRECTV 57, DISH 57 and 9392 (HD)
- Charlottesville area: via antenna 41.2, Comcast 265 (HD) and 1146 (HD)
- Shenandoah Valley: via antenna 51.2, Comcast 9, 798 (HD) and 1042 (HD)
- WETA – WETA PBS Kids: via antenna 26.3, Comcast 266, Cox 801, Verizon FiOS 472 and RCN 38
- Blue Ridge PBS – SWVAPTV: via antenna 15.2, streaming services Blue Ridge Streaming and Project Southwest on YouTube, Citizens Cable 82, Cox 107, Comcast/Xfinity 264 and Lumos 17 (Shentel, Bedford, Covington, Glade Hill, Radford, Rocky Mount, Rustburg and Wytheville: 157)
VDOE Partnership with Spanish-Language Radio Station Supports Learning for Students and Families
“Virginia: Educación en Radio” will feature prerecorded lessons in multiple subject areas to support continuity of learning for Spanish-speaking students in grades K-12 while schools are closed to slow the spread of COVID-19.
The program will air Monday through Friday from 10:30-11 a.m., beginning on Friday, May 1, and run through the end of the month, with a possible extension into June. Programming on Fridays will focus on resources, activities and educational tips for families. A replay of each week’s lessons will be available on Saturdays from 4-6:30 p.m.
Students and parents can access “Virginia: Educación en Radio” by one of the following means:
- Listening live at 1380 AM in the Richmond area from 10:30-11 a.m., Monday-Friday
- Listening live at radiopoder1380.com from 10:30-11 a.m., Monday-Friday
- Listening to lessons on demand at radiopoder1380.com/educacion
- Listening live by phone at (206) 629-0249 or (641) 715-8936
Lessons and topics will be announced on Fridays and posted online at radiopoder1380.com/educacion. Students and families will be encouraged to text in image files of completed work or activity to (804) 571-1380 for a chance to have it featured on the “Virginia: Educación en Radio” website.
MCPS INSTRUCTIONAL RESOURCES
Log in using your student's district username and password. If you need assistance with determining your student's district username and password please reach out to your student's building for support.
i-Ready Printable Resource Packets - Printable at-home activity packs are designed to provide students with valuable self-directed exercises and practice during extended absences from school. Each pack is designed to reinforce key concepts for a given grade. If you don’t have a printer, students can complete the extra practice on plain paper.
Message from i-Ready Support
i-Ready works on an iPad using the iPad for i-Ready app but we do not support other tablet devices or phones. Here are our System Requirements. For any technical issues that you or families have it’s best to contact i-Ready Support at i-ReadySupport@cainc.com or dial 800-225-0248 Mon–Fri 7:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m. ET. They will be best able to assist with this type of issue.