Important Health Information – February 7, 2020
Respiratory illness, in particular the Wuhan coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is a topic currently making news headlines. Manassas City Public Schools (MCPS) wants parents and staff to know that we are mindful of the reports. Please be assured that MCPS monitors reports of illnesses within our schools as a standard practice. Public health authorities, The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Virginia Department of Health (VDH), are closely monitoring the current coronavirus situation.
At present, there are no reports of 2019-nCoV in the state of Virginia. The CDC considers the immediate risk of 2019-nCoV infection to the general American public low at this time. The vast majority of cases have occurred in China. Currently, the CDC is not recommending any additional respiratory illness prevention measures other than continuing to practice good hygiene habits. The recommended everyday prevention actions are:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub that is at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue, then throw the tissue into the trash and wash your hands. If a tissue is not available, cough or sneeze into your sleeve or elbow.
- Sick individuals should stay home. If running a fever, stay home until the fever has been gone for at least 24-hours, without taking fever-reducing medicine.
- Avoid close contact with others who are sick.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that are frequently touched.
- Seek medical care if needed/symptoms worsen. Be sure to call the provider’s office ahead of time to let them know the symptoms, receive directions on being seen quickly, and on prevention measures the office may have implemented.
If MCPS receives additional recommendations from the health department, updates will be provided. More information about coronavirus is available on the Centers for Disease Control website and the Virginia Department of Health website