How to Apply for Pre-K or VPI
1. Families need to complete the following PreK Application 2022-23 or contact your neighborhood school. A child needs to turn 4 years old before or on September 30, 2022 to be eligible for the 2022-23 school year. Children who turn 4 years old after September 30, 2022, are not eligible and will need to wait for the 2023-24 school year.
2. PreK Applications for the 2022-23 school year will open on February 1, 2022 and close on April 29, 2022. Applications submitted after April 29th will be placed on a waitlist.
3. Families are accepted according to enrollment criteria to ensure that children with the highest need receive priority. Enrollment criteria are based on multiple factors and are set by federal and state guidelines. Though families may qualify, spaces are limited and selection is based on need, not “first come, first serve.” The application process begins February 1, for the upcoming school year. However, it is important for all families to apply as soon as possible.
The PreK Staff Member assigned to your application will help guide your family through the rest of the application process.
Your application will be reviewed and eligibility verified by a PreK staff. If your child is not eligible, you will receive a letter via US mail with a list of PreK options in your community and a “parent tip sheet” with ideas for helping prepare your child for transitioning to kindergarten.
For families who are eligible for the program, the child applicant will either be selected, if space is available, or placed on the waitlist. If your child is placed on the waitlist, you will receive a waitlist letter via US mail and a phone call. If a space becomes available and your child is selected for the space, you will receive an acceptance letter via US mail in addition to a phone call to schedule an enrollment appointment.
If your child is selected for a space, families will receive an email and a letter via US mail your registration appointment. Registration appointments information will be sent at the end of April. The following documents will need to be presented at your enrollment appointment:
- Child's original birth certificate
- Residency document(s) which apply to your living situation: lease, deed or mortgage statement. (Note: If you reside with someone and your name is not on a lease or deed, then please download and complete the affidavits’ per the enclosed instructions.) If you are not able to print the residency affidavit please contact our office and we will mail you one.
- Two additional proof of residency (address)
- Utility bill
- Vehicle registration
- Voting card
- Vehicle insurance
- Property tax
- 4-year-old physical and most current immunization record. Please take the following document to your physical appointment. The following health form is used to ensure your child is healthy and is required to be on file prior to a child’s first day of school in PreK. These forms may also be asked to be updated throughout the school year. Please submit the following forms to your assigned PreK Staff Member. If you are not able to print the school entrance health form please contact our office and we will mail you one.
Parent/guardian picture identification
Childs medical insurance card (Medicaid, FAMIS, Private) if this applies to your family
Custody and/or court papers regarding your child (if this applies)
SNAP information if your family receives benefits
- Income verification for each parent (Select one of the following):
- TANF/SSI payment information
- W-2 forms
- Two most recent pay stubs with gross income
- 2020 or 2021 tax return (1040)
- An official letter from your employer stating your monthly earnings, and/or documentation of child support or spousal support will also be accepted.
These documents are required and must be completed before your child can begin school.
Enrollment requirements are as follows:
- A parent/legal guardian must meet with a PreK Staff Member to submit your child’s completed enrollment packet. You will be contacted by a Prek Staff Member to schedule an appointment.
- Your child must have a current school physical with up-to-date immunizations.
- As children are enrolled in PreK, it is important to maintain accurate medical records.
- Spaces are limited.
- Acceptance into the program is based on need, not “first come, first served” with priority given to 4 and 5 year olds (not eligible for Kindergarten). Families are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, beginning February 1, of each year, for the following school year starting in August.
- A PerK Staff Member will be assigned to guide your family through the entire application process.
- Only completed applications can be processed for possible consideration for a space; only eligible applicants can be considered for selection.
- If you have questions, please call our office at: 571-377-6527.