Home Instruction/Home School
In accordance with Section 22.1-254.1 of the Code of Virginia, any parent may elect to provide home instruction for his or her school-age child in lieu of school attendance.
When a parent elects to provide home instruction for their school-year-aged child, it is up to the parent to develop and deliver the curriculum in any matter they choose. Manassas City Public Schools does not provide curriculum and/or educational resources for home-instructed students. If you choose to home instruct your child, please notify MCPS of your intent by submitting a 2023 - 2024 SY Intent to Homeschool to Coni Jones at 8700 Centreville Road, Suite 400, Manassas, Virginia, 20110.
Qualification by Parent or Guardian (one of four required)
- The parent or guardian holds a high school diploma or higher credential
- The parent or guardian is a teacher of qualifications prescribed by the Virginia Board of Education.
- The parent or guardian provides a study or curriculum, which may be delivered through a correspondence course, distance learning program, or any other manner.
- The parent or guardian provides evidence that he or she is able to provide an adequate education for the child.
If you need additional information or intend to apply for homeschooling through MCPS, please contact Coni Jones with the Department of Student Services at 571-377-6082. Please visit the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE)
Additional Information found on the VDOE Home Instruction website includes:
- Home Instruction Handbook for parents
- Useful links and resources for students and parents
- Compulsory Attendance and Home Instruction Related Statutes