Student Services and Student Achievement
Student Services and Student Achievement serve as a bridge between learning and the mental, physical, emotional, and social health factors that determine student achievement and life success. The Executive Director of Student Services oversees the following:
The Department of Special Education supports its mission by:
- complying with the provisions of IDEA of 1997(Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 1997) and the IDEIA of 2004 (Individuals with Disabilities Improvement Act of 2004)
- appropriately identifying students with disabilities based on federal and state criteria
- providing high quality, specialized instructional programs utilizing supplemental materials and research-based strategies
- facilitating a collaborative team among parents, staff, and students to build a positive learning environment
- promoting a strengths-based approach to build on success
- supporting the development of knowledge and skills to prepare students to be college-bound and/or career ready in the following areas: academics; social/emotional; behavioral; communication; fine and gross motor; organization; transition goals; and functional life skills.
The Department of English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) supports its mission by:
- providing English Learners (ELs) access to core content and instruction while supporting their language acquisition process.
- offering content-embedded support and English Language Development structures, ELs are able to be successful in their academic endeavors.
- promoting an ESOL program in MCPS which is differentiated to meet the needs of all students, Pre-K through 12th grade.
Dr. Chevese Thomas
Administrative Associate II