Welcome to Music at Baldwin Intermediate School. Please click on your grade level to the left to proceed
Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) Goals
The content of the music curriculum is intended to support the following goals for students:
- Develop an understanding of music through musical experiences including singing, playing instruments, performing, composing, listening, and responding to music with movement.
- Develop the ability to read and notate music.
- Create works of music that transcribe their thoughts and emotions into forms of musical expression.
- Exercise critical-thinking skills by investigating and analyzing all facets of the music discipline.
- Demonstrate awareness of and responsibility for the safe and responsible use of materials, equipment, methods, and technologies.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship of music to history and culture.
- Make connections between music and other fields of knowledge.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply aesthetic criteria for making musical decisions.
- Develop awareness of copyright and royalty requirements when rehearsing, performing, or otherwise using the works of others. (Note: Teachers will consistently model appropriate use of copyrighted and royalty-protected materials.)
- Nurture a lifelong appreciation for music as an integral component of an educated, cultured society.
VDOE Music Instructional Resources
- Music SOL Crosswalk, 2006 to 2013 (Word) or (PDF)
- Music 2013 Core Academic Correlation Chart (Word) or (PDF)
- K-12 Sample Music Curriculum (Word) or (PDF)
- K-8 Instructional Strategies and Correlations
- African Heritage in Classical Music – Resources and information on 52 African, African American and Afro European composers, conductors and instrumental performers.